Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) Microsoft dumps hailstorm ?

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU](slashdot) Microsoft dumps hailstorm ?
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 08:41:57 +1000

Norbert Bollow wrote:

> It's pretty significant news for me.  The threat of Hailstorm
> was one of the major reasons that prompted me to commit to the
> DotGNU project in the beginning.

Perhaps, but "Hailstorm" per se was never the real threat.
It's the technology behind it.  That technology remains,
even though the service doesn't.  MS is looking to repackage
the technology and resell it to others to turn into services.

So, there is still the possibility that they will establish a
de facto proprietry standard for Web services technologies
and starve everyone else out.  This still needs to be fought.