[DotGNU]RTL as ByteCode

From: Matthew Tedder
Subject: [DotGNU]RTL as ByteCode
Date: Fri, 5 Jul 2002 14:22:04 -0400

Question:

    Has anyone ever explored the idea of using RTL in the way Java uses
ByteCode?  I mean, it's a architecture independent assembly language for
which compilers exist for just about anything digital on this entire planet.

    So why should we need a VM for Java or C# when GNU has GCC?  The VM does
provide for security in ways that RTL probably could not...but has anyone put
any thought into this?

    Could the Linux kernel be modified to allow certain processes no access
to things devices?  If the process is limited to its own memory block,
certain devices, and is kept from taking over interupts, then would it not be
perfectly secure even though it's assembly language code?

    Then, could this modified version of GCC  be implemented on UNIX, Linux,
PowerPC, and Windows at least?  And by implemented I mean as Netscape and IE
modules..???

    It would be better than Java and C# for the following reasons:

(A) Supported on more platforms (including RT platforms)
(B) Allows users to apply languages best for a particular application or
languages that they know better..  Including Java, Fortran, C, C++, and
others..

Matthew