Re: [DotGNU]RTL as ByteCode

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RTL as ByteCode
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2002 09:03:08 +1000

Matthew Tedder wrote:

> Question:
>
>     Has anyone ever explored the idea of using RTL in the way Java uses
> ByteCode?  I mean, it's a architecture independent assembly language for
> which compilers exist for just about anything digital on this entire planet.

This was explored about a year ago - search the mailing
list archives for details.

Doing so is opposed by the FSF and the GNU Project.  It
would expose the internals of gcc in a way that proprietry
compiler vendors could use it without obeying the terms
of the GPL.

There are many things that are theoretically possible,
but won't be done because protecting our freedoms is the
most important issue for the GNU Project, not convenience.