Re: [DotGNU]Changing pnetlib license to LGPL

From: Mario D. Santana
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Changing pnetlib license to LGPL
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 22:23:22 -0400

BioChem333 wrote:

> I'm not sure you understand the problem.

You may be right -- it's been a while since I read the license terms.

> The LGPL has a loophole which
> could cause all of pnetlib to be modified and released in object code
> only, with only the interface being left free and under the LGPL.

If I read you right, the loophole you mention involves front-ending the
modified LGPL'd object code with, eg, SOAP. By presupposing that offering
a program this way counts as internal usage (as opposed to distribution,)
this loophole applies to GPL'd code as well, linking exception or no.
AFAIK, there's no free license that explicitly restricts this sort of
thing. In fact, I don't see how a license could be free, if it dictates
what a user can do with the program, absent distribution.

If I read you wrong, please correct me. =)

Cheers!

mds

--
Be braver -- you can't cross a chasm in two small leaps.