Re: [DotGNU]Changing pnetlib license to LGPL

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Changing pnetlib license to LGPL
Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2002 07:44:48 +0530

To prevent this from escalating into a full scale license dialogue ....
I suggest you meet us on the pnet IRC meet and ask rhys or others there.
IMO that will be much better & less messier.

If memory serves me right, BioChem333 wrote:
> Actually, from what I understood in the explanation of the GPL+linking,
> using internal calls would not make it a derivative work.

Well the pnetlib licensing covers native component of Pnetlib under the
compatible license .

> That implementation of the library would rely upon that runtime, but
> other interface-compatible versions of the library would still work on the
> runtime. Also the runtime itself would not contain the library in any
> form (by law, even though common sense may say otherwise), so it
> wouldn't be a derivative work and therefore would not be covered by the
> LGPL. Thus, we have improvements and additions being made to the library
> that are non-free.

You are correct , a total reimplementaion/cleanroom VM can use an LGPL'd
Pnetlib , but not a GPL+Linking Exception Pnetlib.

The LGPL does not  prevent someone from writing a VM and using Portable.Net
libs ... In hindsight this was considered while splitting the runtime and
libraries into two modules..

IMO licensing is a muddled issue , and I am not a lawyer ...

I consider reimplementing the whole VM to support pnetlib, impossible or
even ridiculous.... Especially when an alternative exists .
(Hint: starts with M , next letter is Oh and rest is NO !)

Gopal