Re: [DotGNU]don't change pnetlib license (was Re: Changing pnetlib licen

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]don't change pnetlib license (was Re: Changing pnetlib license to LGPL)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 16:53:03 +0200

S11001001 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Well, it is OK in the small sense, but I ask you to consider it in the
> larger sense.
[..]
> * Discouraging use of LGPL overall. I quote from the Automake manual:
[..]
> Now, this reason invalidates the first reason to *switch* presented in
> the thread.
>
> * Making the license terms more well-known. The idea of why-not-lgpl was
> to ask people to consider the LGPL to be *special circumstances only*,
> instead of another full-fledged license, just as easily usable as the GPL.

We want DotGNU to become "the" platform for portable computer
applications.  This means that we shouldn't make it
unneccessarily difficult for the lawyers in software development
companies of any kind to decide that there are no legal risks
whatsoever with developing for the DotGNU platform.

So, unless there are compelling reasons to stick with
GPL+LE,  I think it's good to switch to LGPL.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://www.gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/
Norbert Bollow, Weidlistr.18, CH-8624 Gruet     (near Zurich, Switzerland)