Re: [DotGNU]suggestion for dotgnu-base

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]suggestion for dotgnu-base
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:17:53 +0200

Gopal V wrote:

> I think that is the idea behind "dotgnu-libs" ... DotGNU-Base would be
> the "Convenience" classes of DotGNU ( any1 remember "MouseMotionAdapter" ?)
> Like providing stuff like
>
> System.Console << "HELLO WORLD";

Nice idea, I'll get on it :-) (btw: it would be called DotGNU.Console).

> dotgnu-libs should form the basic stuff like the pattern matching/regexp,
> high precision arithmetic, 3d vector calculations , X11 wrappers , smtplib,
> etc ... Like the python site-packages :-)

Smtplib could also be DotGNU.Protocols.STMP in DG-Base.

> In general, the DG-base should be what glibc was to the standard C library.
> (data structures, g_assert, g_loglevel, .......)

Certainly.

Nice mission statement Gopal :-). But there is still the matter of what
functionality belongs in DG-Base vs DG-Libs. This will have to be decided per
package (by the dg-libs team).

Greetings,

Peter