[DotGNU]Compiling to the JVM

From: Andrew Clark
Subject: [DotGNU]Compiling to the JVM
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:24:39 -0500

I hope that I'm asking this in the right place -- is the cscc option to compile to Java bytecode (-mjvm) fully implemented?  It's been mentioned in the documentation for quite some time, but I can't seem to get it right.  I'm running with the 0.4.4 release under Cygwin, with the ubiquitous "Hello, world" program.

using System;

class Hello
{

        public static void Main()
        {
                Console.WriteLine("Hello, world");
                return;
        }
}

I can compile it to IL and run it and everything is fine.  However, when I try to compile it to Java bytecode:

cscc -mjvm -o htest.class htest.cs

...the resulting file isn't a valid class file (or jar file, for that matter).  The hex dump of the file is a little different, and I've looked at the source enough to know that there is at least some code in there that looks like it should be outputting Java bytecode.

If it doesn't work, is there someone currently working on it?  If someone has some insight, I'd be willing to at least try to implement some of the functionallity.  I've looked on the dotgnu website and can't find any TODO or subprojects that seem to address this issue at all.  If it's feasible, I see the Java bytecode option as one of the most powerful features that this project could offer.