Re: [DotGNU]question about Finalize in C#

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]question about Finalize in C#
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2002 13:20:50 +0100

On Thursday 05 September 2002 00:05, Rhys wrote:
> 1. Implement the IDisposable interface and its "Dispose" method.
> 2. "Dispose" closes handles, sockets, etc, if they aren't null,
>    and then sets them to null.
> 3. "Close" and "Finalize" call "Dispose" internally.
>
> It is possible that "Dispose" may be called multiple times
> (e.g. once in "Close" and again from "Finalize"), so it must
> be hardened against such usage.
>
> Implementing the IDisposable interface allows you to use the
> "using" construct.  e.g.
>
>     using (FileStream file = new FileStream("xyz"))
>     {
>     }
>
> The "using" statement automatically calls "Dispose" when the
> statement body ends or throws an exception.

Dispose doesn't work yet does it?  Or even 'using( ..... )'.

I just want to check that I've not got something broken.

Attached is a standard test prog for such things, from which I get the
 output:

Construct Bod with id 2
End

Which is far less than expected.

Sorry if knowledge of this has been made public elsewhere, I can't find it.

Cheers,
Chris
--
Chris Smith
  Technical Architect - netFluid Technology Ltd.