[DotGNU]Parrot Support

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [DotGNU]Parrot Support
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:29:51 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> > For example, the Parrot VM is claimed to be universal, but they don't
> > have full-blown C# and C compilers capable of generating bytecode.
>
> OK, so who's going to to do PVCodegen(ILNode_*) ? :-) ...
>
> I have a working install of Parrot CVS head on my box already.
> Maybe I could help by figuring out Pasm ??

I was going to have a look at this, in parallel to getting back to
pnetC.  The first step is to write the equivalent of "cg_output.h".
Allocating local variables to registers will be a little tricky,
especially dealing with register spills (i.e. more locals than
registers).  Once that is dealt with, it should be possible to
parallelize the development and have many people working on
different node types.

The Parrot code has two interfaces: pasm and imc.  The first is
raw Parrot assembly.  The second is a kind of three address code,
that is converted, optimized, etc, down to Parrot assembly.
The imc stuff is a little primitive at present, though.

Turns out that the Parrot guys already started to write a C#
subset, called Cola.  I've contacted the Cola author to see
how we can help each other.