Re: [DotGNU]Announcement - DotGNU Focus and Direction

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Announcement - DotGNU Focus and Direction
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:10:52 -0700 (PDT)

--- Barry Fitzgerald <address@hidden> wrote:
[snip]-- I aggree

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to contact any members of any
> projects
> that use XML-RPC and other webservice technologies to determine where
> we
> could assist each other.  Obviously, a strict emphasis should be
> placed on
> the fact that we should give priority consideration to those projects
> who
> have embraced copyleft.

The savannah/debiansf projects expressed a need and a want to implement
XMLRPC interfaces. The issue with that, in my opinion is the sheer
number of interfaces that need to be supported.

We need to be able use the type of reflection code that Gopal has been
hacking at, to generate bindings out out C# interfaces. That way people
will use DOTGNU /C# as a interface specification language. Then we can
work on providing multiple transports.

> For this project to reach full fruition, we must become the center of
> webservice development in the Free Software world.  This is similar
> to the
> way that glibc and gcc are the center of the C programming world in
> Free
> Software.

To do that we have to provide an implementation.
And we need to provide some guidelines as to how to create secure
sevices.

I would suggest start by porting the java xmlrpc lib from apache over,
into C#. I have tested XMLrpc in conjunction with the Perl Frontier
lib,
but the SOAP::Lite now supports XMLRPC:

Mike

=====