[DotGNU]RFC 2: Organizing Targets

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [DotGNU]RFC 2: Organizing Targets
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:54:19 +0200

RFC Number: 2
Title: Organizing Targets
Maintainers: Peter Minten <address@hidden>
Date of entrance: 20-oct-2002
Date of decision: -
Area: DotGNU Working Group

This RFC discussed how to build a standard system of Target specifiers to assist
in the organization of DotGNU.

Full text:

This RFC discussed how to build a standard system of Target specifiers to assist
in the organization of DotGNU.

As Chris Smith pointed out on 14-oct-2002 on the DotGNU Developers mailing list,
it would be a good idea to use a system of milestones to make sure progress is
being made. The following quote comes from Chris message:

> Well I would suggest identifing essential milestone tasks and put them on a
> critical path.  These can be quite low level like "Pnet-Implement 'Using'",
> "Demonstrate VRS architecture" etc
>
> The owners of the tasks can then assign some achievable dates to these tasks.
>
> We can then monitor slipage etc, and if someone is not going to be able to
> work on the project for a while, someone else _could_ step in for a while so
> that the target date is still met.
>
> The point is that by identifying critical milestones that make sure the
> project moves forward, and by completing them in a timely fashion the project
> should never stall.  We also see where problem areas are before they become
> stumbling blocks.
>
> It's a bit of a 'control' structure, though we can keep it loose, but with a
> large multi-facited project such as this it might do the job.  Works for me
> and my team in my day-job :)

Milestones (also known as Targets) should be send to the Librarian subcommittee
(RFC 4) in the following format:

* Target Number (assigned by librarian, see 'RFC 4: The librarian subcommittee')
* Title
* Maintainers (who maintains it, both real people and subcommittees (see 'RFC 3:
  Subcommittees' for more info on this))
* Date of completion (when was the Target reached)
  the decision.
* Area (under which WG the Target falls)
* Status (TODO/In progress/DONE)
* Version number (starting with 1)
* Short description
* Prequisites (what needs to be done before this job can start)

All info's except the full text should be put on a summary page. The full text
should be on a separate webpage to which the summary page should link. Each
Target summary should have a background color indicating it's status. This is
red for TODO, yellow for In Progress and green for DONE.

When a Target is reached or send in it should be mentioned in the next edition
of the DotGNU Gazette (RFC 5).

End of RFC