Re: TreeCC for the GCC (was [DotGNU]IRC Meeting Summary : 2002-10-19)

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: TreeCC for the GCC (was [DotGNU]IRC Meeting Summary : 2002-10-19)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 03:44:57 -0700 (PDT)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> James Michael DuPont wrote:
>
> > 1. dependancies, I do not yet have a full topological sort of the
> > nodetypes dependancies worked out, that means that I cannot put the
> > files (yet) into the right order for including and compilation.
>
> Since you are using C#, the compiler will rearrange the classes
> for you.  It is perfectly OK to compile B.cs then A.cs, if B
> inherits from A.  I don't see what the problem is.

The problem is the treecc cannot be told not to include same file
twice.

A -- uses -- B
             B -- uses -- D
             C -- uses -- D
A -- uses -- C

In this case, D is included twice. If I put the output command in each
file, the number classes outputed in each file varies wildly.
Please take a look at the output of first pass I sent you.

When they are all in one file, then it seems to be outputed in the
right order, I will check the compile.

> > I think the way to go with this is to get the treecc stuff
> generated,
> > the I hope there is someway to use the c interfaces to talk to the
> c#
> > interfaces. Right now I guess the c and c# interfaces are excluding
> > each other, it would be great if I could fill out the c interface
> and
> > automagically feed that to the c# interface.
>
> Why are you using C# at all?

Because I want to test some of the C# stuff gopal has been working on.
Because C# allows for a very high level spec of the trees.

> The goal of the discussion on
> gcc/treecc so far is to allow third parties to quickly build
> new front-ends for gcc, with _no_ dependency on anything except
> treecc itself.
That would be the c layer, but on top of that layer, people will want
to write parts of the compiler in different languages. High level
languages are very powerfull for prototyping parts of the compiler.
The C interface is the lowest common denominator.

>Using C# introduces a dependency on pnet.
Yes, it does. The tree code should be usefull without it.

> You should be using treecc to generate C code to solve this
> problem.
I thought that treecc would generate code that allow the different
languages to access the c structures.  Still it makes sense to in the
long term provide a swig/inline wrapping structure around the tree
structures.

Mike

=====
James Michael DuPont