Re: [DotGNU]Adding ICalls and Implementing Directory.cs

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Adding ICalls and Implementing Directory.cs
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 01:17:05 +0530

If memory serves me right, Charles Shuller wrote:
> compile on pnetlib.  The controling icall is: ILInt32
> _IL_DirMethods_GetFilesInDirectory(ILExecThread *_thread,  ILString
> *path, ILObject **files).

Hmm... System_Array **files .... ILObject** is an unmanaged pointer
viz does not carry bound checking information ....

> It creates conflicts in int_proto.h, which I can manually edit to
> remove.  It creates the conflicts because it was origionally prototyped
> to return an array of strings.

Even more wierd , the ilinternal tool generates bad code

extern void _IL_DirMethods_GetFilesInDirectory(ILExecThread * _thread,
                void * _result, ILString * path, System_Array * * Files);

for:

extern public static Errno GetFilesInDirectory(System.String path,
                                        out Platform.FileInfo[] Files);

So I needed to do some hand editing as well ...

> test, I get a NotImplemented exception.

You forgot the entries in int_table.c ... but see ilinternal bug ;-)

> get: ./System.dll: DLL's cannot have entry points.  So I grep -r "Main "

Hmmm... System.IO is supposed to be in runtime/System/IO and be built
as mscorlib.dll ...

And sorry about that Main, I accidentally put it there when I sent
you ...

I've fixed all these minor issues and commited to CVS ... but still
cannot seem to get String into FileInfo struct ...

Rhys: could you tell me & Charles where we went wrong ?.

Why doesn't (*buffer)->fileName=ILStringCreate(....); ,work when I
come to C# ?.

Gopal

PS: this commit was a mistake, I checked it after I commited ....
    sorry thought I fixed it for good ... :-(