Re: [DotGNU]Selling support and ModRequests for dotGNU

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Selling support and ModRequests for dotGNU
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 12:04:56 +1000

Charles Shuller wrote:

> This is a bit of an ethical question, the GPL as I understand it makes
> this legal, but say so if I'm wrong.
>
> Is it ethical to sell support contracts, and mod-requests for dotGNU
> even if the person involved is not necessarily a primary developer?  And
> can/should the resultant code be put back into the codebase?

The GPL does not restrict anyone's ability to sell support, etc.
It does say that if you distribute modified versions of the code,
then you must provide source.  Whether you send them back to
the primary developers for inclusion, or distribute your own
patches/fork, is up to you.

We would of course prefer if they were sent back for inclusion
because it makes the system better for all.  Even if you distribute
separate patches, the GPL allows us to incorporate them later
should we choose to do so.

As always, the GPL has no problem with people making money from
software.  Only from making money from _secret_ software.  e.g.
keeping the patches secret to prevent others from offering the
same service would not be acceptable.