Re: [DotGNU]Supporting MS Error code syntax

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Supporting MS Error code syntax
Date: Fri, 08 Nov 2002 07:27:45 +1000

Gopal V wrote:

> do we need an error code thing ?.... It should be possible to do it without
> disturbing anything except cscctest.
>
> CCErrorOnLine(42,".....") ? anyone ?

Absolutely, positively, 100%, NOT!

Error codes are an abomination, are impossible to keep consistent
between compiler implementations, and are against GNU coding standards.
The GNU standard is "filename:line[:column]: message".  Which is
why gcc never uses codes, even though dozens of other C compilers do.

n1k0 wants a way to disable certain warnings with a single number
that works across all compilers.  We can add that by translating
the "-fnowarn" code into our internal warning names while parsing
the command-line options.

However, in my opinion, warnings should never be ignored.  They
should be fixed.

> I had a mail from the Eclipse Csharp people saying "your error messages are
> not in ECMA format" ... Currently I think a hundred line patch to their
> compiler invoke code can fix them up for CSCC support ...

Where, pray tell, in the ECMA standard does it specify the error
message format?  Or even the list of error codes that should be
emitted for various conditions?

> That brings up another question .... Is Eclipse support a good thing ?

If they are willing to do the work, then it doesn't hurt us.
Their license isn't GPL-compatible, but it is still technically
a free software license.