Re: [DotGNU]Summary of today's irc meetings

From: j_post
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Summary of today's irc meetings
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 21:13:14 -0800

On Saturday 15 March 2003 04:57 pm, Norbert wrote:

> GUI Toolkits
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> * What should be DotGNU's "native" GUI toolkit?  Maybe equally support
>   Gtk, Qt and XWT.  XWT is interesting because we need to be able to
>   "project" Webservice GUIs onto remote machines, including machines
>   that run proprietary OSes.

What about SDLDotNet? It's the only C# GUI I've found that does what I want
it to do, as opposed to doing what it wants to do. The application programmer
has total control with SDL, whereas a purely event driven GUI such as Gtk#
only provides callbacks for user events--the main control loop is the GUI
event loop, not the programmer's application. (Threads? What threads? Haven't
seen them yet in Gtk#. If you know where they're hidden, please point me in
that direction.)

And Qtsharp? Forget it. Qtsharp compiles ok on my machine, but every app I
build with it crashes. If it crashes on my machine, it's likely to crash on
other people's machines, even if it doesn't on some. Not portable.

Jeff