Re: [DotGNU]RDF based discovery system

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]RDF based discovery system
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 19:35:47 +0100

James Michael DuPont wrote:

> This ties back into my original proposal for a meta-object workgroup
> and meta-data repository.
> http://wiki.dotgnu.org/TaskMetaDataRepository
>
> That would provide many datasources for a generic discovery system.

GNU.RDF is open enough to accept data from those sources.

> We need to really ask ourselves what is going to be published and what
> not!

There will be a standard, but it can be extended.

> Many free software developers lack the creativity to think themselves
> out of the box.

I fear that's true. A good sign is the languages used. C is the top language,
not LISP. C is pretty strict and you can't really do new things with it because
it's too low level. LISP is a hugely flexible language, but few use it (or have
the guts to try to learn it).

> The idea of discovery needs to go down to the method and variable level
> where you can browse an program and extract just the needed bits and
> bobs. In the end, this is tied closely into the job of the compiler,
> but is implemented on a global scale.

Introspect, extract into RDF, publish on an RDF server and make the standard
project metadata link to it.

> I challenge you to have the courage to embrace such an idea.
>
> I don't think it is possible because of the lack of knowledge exchange
> and openness.

Hmm, I know of a tool that makes it possible :-).

Greetings,

Peter