Re: [DotGNU]CVM to machine code

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]CVM to machine code
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 00:09:01 +0530

If memory serves me right, Paolo Molaro wrote:
> I should also note that a current ilrun doesn't execute the code as mono
> and the MS runtime do (they print some TRACE messages that ilrun does
> not), so I guess ilrun is missing something yet (though I don't think it
> would change the run time much).

pnetlib is missing decent switched TraceListener support :)

> I'm not offended, I was interested in hearing about this 3 minute thing,
> I'm glad to hear it's just an old issue.

Ok :)

> Good benchmarks are not just tight loops (unless they are benchmarks to
> test just loop optimizations), but they match some common patterns in
> applications.

Generally speaking benchmarks run common patterns repeatedly to get
a cumulative result :)

Also from the looks of it my winforms app is spending 94% of it's time
inside unmanaged code , ie the X event loop ... same for my Webservice
apps - network calls ... :)

> Total jit time for pnetmark is 0.26 seconds, for a test that lasts about
> 50 seconds: it's irrelevant.

-precompile ? :)

> Mono is about 3 times faster than the fastest ilrun build, the others
> are 5 or more times slower.

Compare apples to oranges , for taste :)

Gopal