Re: [DotGNU]CVM to machine code

From: Rich Baumann
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]CVM to machine code
Date: 26 Jul 2003 15:45:56 -0400

On Sat, 2003-07-26 at 14:19, Paolo Molaro wrote:
> Total jit time for pnetmark is 0.26 seconds, for a test that lasts about
> 50 seconds: it's irrelevant.

I get different results. Using today's daily mono tarball and a fresh
from cvs pnet I get the following pnetmark results:

$ time ./mono ~/dotgnu/pnetmark-0.0.6/src/pnetmark.exe
PNetMark 0.0.6 - Portable.NET Benchmark
Copyright (c) 2001, 2002 Southern Storm Software, Pty Ltd.

Sieve  ... 5847
Loop   ... 8163
Logic  ... 13901
String ... 2819
Float  ... 577
Method ... 11413

PNetMark rating is 4805

real    0m25.214s
user    0m23.330s
sys     0m0.060s

$ time ilrun ~/dotgnu/pnetmark-0.0.6/src/pnetmark.exe
PNetMark 0.0.6 - Portable.NET Benchmark
Copyright (c) 2001, 2002 Southern Storm Software, Pty Ltd.

Sieve  ... 4193
Loop   ... 8014
Logic  ... 5754
String ... 980
Float  ... 476
Method ... 2544

PNetMark rating is 2474

real    0m24.198s
user    0m23.630s
sys     0m0.070s

> > 5 flavours of ilrun builds , your perfomance might vary.
>
> Mono is about 3 times faster than the fastest ilrun build, the others
> are 5 or more times slower.

I'm just not seeing that. What I am seeing is that it's equal in
execution time. Of course, that was what Gopal was talking about.

Rich