Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 02:38:33 -0700 (PDT)

--- Chris Smith <address@hidden> wrote:

> However I feel sure that you don't need a detached and seperate
> process
> running in the background, unless it is doing some continuous
> processing and
> the client doesn't want to have to wait for it to finish.

Well the client can wait. But the server might have to ask the client a
question , or the client might want to post mutiple sets of data and
have them all land in the same processses.

> In fact, reading again what you're saying about having a process
> running for
> each job.... you will not be able to tie a single process to a single
> client
> and have them exchange data back and forth. Ever.  This is not how
> webservices work.  Sorry m8 :o(

:( why not?

> To be able to engineer this, you'd have to write some routing code
> into your
> webservices so that when one of them gets a repeat request from a
> client that
> your 'application' has seen before, it is able to route that request
> to the
> appropriate dedicated handler process.  This is a lot of work as
> you're
> basically writing your own application server.

Hmm.. that is bad news.

> http://www.nfluid.com/images/abdabi.png
> So we already have a worked example of "the way to do it" for you to
> draw
> inspiration from.

cool

> You can't think the simple textbook client-server model when you're
> trying to
> deploy code into an application server (as the DGEE is).  The
> functionality
> and perfomance of what you're trying to do is _very_ achievable, as
> the
> Abdabi has shown, but you need to re-jig the functional model in your
> head.
>
> I know you'll appreciate that implementing the kind of application
> you're
> proposing will not be portable outside of dotgnu.

:) that is good. Dotgnu is the best.

> If you can provide a state/timing diagram for the sequence of events
> that
> you're wanting to handle in your application, that would help.

Ok. The client sends a message to start the transaction.
the server responds with a token
each minute the client calls a keepalive on that token, giving the
process another minute to live.
when then process times out, it dies.

Each other request passes that token in. the webserver has the
responability to keep the process alive, or freeze and thaw the process
as needed.

I wonder in pnet can just be frozen as is?

Rhys? Is is possible to just save the state of ilrun as a core file?

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/