Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]DGEE/CSLIB Question about webservices lifetime
Date: Fri, 1 Aug 2003 20:19:01 +0530

If memory serves me right, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> Well the client can wait. But the server might have to ask the client a
> question , or the client might want to post mutiple sets of data and
> have them all land in the same processses.

That just can't be done with a middleware system without some explicit
means of ensuring state ...

> :( why not?

Because HTTP just doesn't work that way .... try storing to a local
variable in CGI or PHP code ... Even if HTTP were to allow it , the
rest of DGEE is built on the basis of any VM process can handle a
class of requests ("class" meaning group or classification) .. This
allows for multiple VMs to be run simultaneously or even on different
boxes.

> Each other request passes that token in. the webserver has the
> responability to keep the process alive, or freeze and thaw the process
> as needed.

Such session-id based systems are possible, but you still need
some place to store the data that needs to be stored (like a Pgsql
server) and perform operations, update . Maybe we'll have a set of
helper classes to do this ?

If you look at xmlrpc with phpgw , you'll notice that they pass
sessionid:kp3 as the user:password of HTTP communication ...

And also the term "webserver" doesn't even surface for DGEE VM instances.

> Rhys? Is is possible to just save the state of ilrun as a core file?

And reserve 8-10Mb per call ?... be practical , there's no need to
save the entire thing , only a few things and that too from the
application level , rather than the VM level.

If I had a bit more time on my hand, I'd have shown up with an
example of session based webservices.

Gopal