Re: [DotGNU]c compiler: Problems with constants

From: Glenn Chambers
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]c compiler: Problems with constants
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 21:02:10 -0500

On Tuesday, March 23, 2004, at 08:56 AM, Michal Moskal wrote:

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 07:38:10PM +1000, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
Traditional ANSI C only allows declarations at the head of a block. C++ allows them anywhere in a block. The latest version of gcc follows the C++
model.  Until recently, such code was considered invalid in C.

I believe this is C99 model, not C++ one.

It's also the C++ model. Rhys' comment "Until recently" refers to the C99
change.  I believe that C++ did it first, and C99 added it later.

(Rhys again)
I personally think that it *should* be invalid because it causes sloppy coders
to write C code that won't compile on most of the world's existing C
compilers, harming code portability in the process. This is why I do most of my development with gcc 2.x, not gcc 3.x - the resulting C code is more
portable.

Since there's no significant C++ element to PNET, this is a reasonable position. (The 3.x C++ compilers have a *vastly* more complete C++ library implementation.)

You should probably do a test build every once in a while with a recent 3.x just to be sure; the newer compilers have tightened up certain restrictions in the language. (see the flamage on 'strict type aliasing checks' on the
GCC lists about a year or so back.)

(Michal this time)

<flame>Another thing to think about is that C99 is ergh.. 5 years old,
so maybe there is little point in supporting ancient compilers :-)</flame>

GCC only recently gave up on being buildable with a K&R compiler, and those
were 'obsolete' when some of the people on this list were born...

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH