Re: [DotGNU]Naming conventions

From: Carl-Adam Brengesjo
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Naming conventions
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:09:17 +0200

Marcus wrote:
Is that only for those three types? I don't see "Int32" or "Single" being used, for example. So I'm very confused about this part.

Afaik, "int" is prefered to "Int32" for future backcompability on 64bit system when "int" will be wrapped to Int64 instead of Int32. Though at many places in the code both "int" and "Int32" are used. So I'm not 100% sure about it.

But as the naming convention doesn't mention the other types, nor state that the named types are merley an example but rather explicit state those types.

Also, in some places, the C# names *must* be used, such as "enum Fruit: byte { Apple, Orange };" (The compilers will not accept Byte here.)

Excerpt from ECMA-334:
``11.1.8 Enumeration types
An enumeration type is a distinct type with named constants. Every enumeration type has an underlying
type, which must be byte, sbyte, short, ushort, int, uint, long or ulong.''

And the MS csc doesn't accept Byte either, so it's a correct behaviour.

:-)

Cheers!