Re: [Pnet-developers] Procedures for bug reporting

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Procedures for bug reporting
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 16:20:40 -0800 (PST)

These are rules like
1. the boss is always right
2. if the boss is wrong, see rule #1

Nice try.

> Rule #3: If you submit a bug to the bug database, then the natural
> assumption
> is that you expect someone other than yourself to address the issue.
> Bugs
> that you wish to fix yourself should be entered into the Patch
> Manager, with
> a working patch.

Like I am planning on fixing bugs at the time I report them?
Look rhys, I don't know what you expect of the bug reporter,
but if was you, I would be happy that anyone is taking thier time to
test your software, to report the bug and provide test cases.

The buck stops right there :
That is bug reporting, the other thing is bug fixing. They are two
different tasks.

For me, Bug reporting is one of the few things that I have really
contributed to pnet, I can say that I have a large number of bugs and
have tested functions that where not even properly tested in pnet.

This is what I can do. Bug fixing requires a complete different set of
skills that I am slowly building up.  It is a different task, I use
pnet on a couple of things and am learning about dotnet technology via
it. I hope someday to get up to speed on the pnet code so that I can
fix it. But I dont intend at this point to fix any of the bugs this
weekend.

All I am offering is to take some of them away and look into a long
term solution, if you refuse to even deal with them. I dont want to do
that, but if they will never get resolved, then why not. This all
depends on you, so there are no bugs that I report

I cannot believe you are implying that you know of hundreds of bugs
that you indend on fixing, and that you dont share with others.

This looks all to me like just steps to make the bug list go away, and
look smaller, I dont think that is right, but your the boss, so you
have to be right. See rule #2

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont