Re: [Pnet-developers] GCC .net

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] GCC .net
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 07:38:36 +1000

On Saturday 29 March 2003 02:19 am, minddog wrote:
> http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~jds31/research/gccnet/
>
> "I am able to build the C compiler (cc1), and this outputs .NET Common
> Intermediate Language (CIL) assembler files, which I can then run through
> the Microsoft ilasm tool. I did try using Portable .NET tools, but I
> couldn't get these to work, sadly!"

The main reason why it didn't work was because he was creating a 400k+ array
on the stack to act as a pseudo-heap.  I suggested to him that he should move
it out into the real heap using "Marshal.AllocHGlobal" instead.

There were also some problems processing forwardly-defined ".data"
declarations and global variables in ".data" areas, which would have also
been easy to fix with some small changes to his code.  I haven't heard back
from him since (that was Jan).

> Maybe we should give this project a shot in the next month to get it
> working on Pnet.

He's using a similar approach to egcs-jvm.  See the pnet FAQ for a description
of why this isn't a good way to port gcc to a stack machine.

Cheers,

Rhys.