Re: [Pnet-developers] implementing joystick support

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] implementing joystick support
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 06:30:41 +1000

On Thursday 15 January 2004 01:54 am, Tobias Bengtsson wrote:

> I've written c-code that get events from the Linux joystick
> driver for you guys to look at. I'm a C# beginner but with some
> guidelines and help I could probably fit it in pnet.

I suggest that you write a small C library that implements the operations that
you need, and then wrap that with PInvoke.  Or use PInvoke to import the libc
open/read/ioctl routines and call them directly like you would in C code.  I
personally would use the former, because it will be easier to port to new
platforms with different joystick drivers.

It isn't really feasible to provide generic access to Posix via C#.  The ioctl
system call, in particular, varies a lot between systems and OS versions, and
wrapping it in a way that would make it useful is just not possible.  But if
you wrap the ugly bits with C first, you can avoid the problem.

Cheers,

Rhys.