Re: [Pnet-developers] The GAC, shared assemblies and assembly versioning

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] The GAC, shared assemblies and assembly versioning
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 16:38:30 +1000

On Thursday 05 February 2004 03:14 pm, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> On 05-Feb-2004, Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > There is one now, of sorts.  Assemblies are organised into
> > version-specific sub-directories underneath /usr/local/lib/cscc/lib.
>
> Why "cscc"?

It's historical.  Originally I was planning to have different assembly
directories for compiling and running IL programs, so that you could develop
against one version (e.g. for cross-compiling) and run against another on the
local system.

Over time, the compiler cache for "cscc" became the defacto default location,
with "-L" options used if the user really wanted to switch libraries.  The
name "ilrun" didn't exist until after the compiler was well underway and by
then the dual install directory thing didn't make much sense any more.

I didn't see any reason to rename a perfectly good install location.  Breaking
existing user's install locations "just because" is not a sufficiently good
reason to change.

Why not "pnet"?  Well, I wanted to protect myself in case Microsoft's lawyers
went crazy and objected to the ".NET" in "Portable.NET" on trademark grounds.
As it is, a quick name change and documentation update will remove most
traces of "pnet" from the project.  You'll find very little use of "pnet" in
the core source code because of this.

Why not "dotgnu"?  Well, DotGNU didn't exist when I started pnet and chose
"cscc" as the compiler's name.

Like I said, "cscc" is historical.  It's also future-proofed against any name
change the project might experience in the future.  The compiler is unlikely
to change name even if the project does.

Cheers,

Rhys.