Re: [Pnet-developers] [bugs #8074] pnet does not build with threads supp

From: Rainer Groesslinger
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [bugs #8074] pnet does not build with threads support against a glibc with nptl
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 17:26:49 +0100

> Neither of these are a valid solution to the problem.  Those 3 lines detect
> the presence of read-write locks, which then don't work.  I would consider
> this to be a bug in your pthread.h file, not pnet - it should not be defining
> PTHREAD_RWLOCK_INITIALIZER if it doesn't have pthread_rwlock_t!
>
> But if you could suggest a more robust way to detect the presense of
> read-write locks for your system, I'm all ears.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rhys.

I didn't claim that they are valid solutions, that's why I called them
"work around" (as in "both ways at least let you use pnet and you aren't
stuck with a compile error").

If you remember, I mailed this problem to the list a few weeks ago(based
on the reports some people made) but different glibc version etc. don't
seem to make a difference and since I recompiled my glibc with nptl and
I can reproduce the problem now I reported this as a bug. (As of yet, I
couldn't find anyone who has glibc+nptl and can compile pnet, for all
the people I asked it fails with the error written in the bug).

I am using glibc-2.3.2 with a branch update from 20031115 and thus, NPTL
0.60.

Feel free to close the bug with "worksforme" (or whatever it's called on
savannah ;), perhaps all the people I talked to about this are just
using (the same?) faulty pthread.h (which means it'd be broken for some
time now :).

But we'll see, if I hear anything new about this, I'll let the list know
again ;)

--
Rainer