[Pnet-developers] [bugs #8074] pnet does not build with threads support

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [Pnet-developers] [bugs #8074] pnet does not build with threads support against a glibc with nptl
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 19:15:18 -0500

This mail is an automated notification from the bugs tracker
 of the project: DotGNU Portable.NET.

[bugs #8074] Latest Modifications:

Changes by:
                Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden>
'Date:
                Fri 03/12/04 at 00:15 (GMT)

            What     | Removed                   | Added
          Resolution | None                      | Fixed
              Status | Open                      | Closed

The problem appears to be that the nptl pthread.h
defines PTHREAD_RWLOCK_INITIALIZER outside of the
protection of #ifdef __USE_UNIX98.  So, on your
system the macro is defined but not the pthread_rwlock_t
type.  I've worked around this in pnet, but you may want
to contact the glibc/nptl authors and report this as a bug
in their headers.

[bugs #8074] Full Item Snapshot:

Project: DotGNU Portable.NET
Submitted by: Rainer Groesslinger
On: Tue 03/09/04 at 17:37

Category:  None
Severity:  5 - Average
Item Group:  None
Resolution:  Fixed
Assigned to:  None

Original Submission:  pnet fails when compiling against a glibc that has NPTL
built-in, the error is:

-----
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/rainer/pnet/cvs-src/pnet/support'
gcc -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I../include    -I../libgc/include -I../include
                -DCSCC_LIB_PREFIX="/usr/local/lib"
-DCSCC_BIN_PREFIX="/usr/local/bin"
-DCSCC_DATA_PREFIX="/usr/local/share" -DCSCC_HOST_TRIPLET="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
-g -O2 -Wall -c hb_gc.c
In file included from thr_defs.h:35,
                 from hb_gc.c:25:
pt_defs.h:89: error: syntax error before "_ILRWLock"
pt_defs.h:89: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `_ILRWLock'
pt_defs.h:89: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
make[1]: *** [hb_gc.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rainer/pnet/cvs-src/pnet/support'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
-----

There are currently two work arounds for this problem:
1. configure with --enable-threads=none
or
2. in support/pt_defs.h remove those three lines:
(it will compile and threads seem to work then)
-----
#ifdef PTHREAD_RWLOCK_INITIALIZER
       #define IL_HAVE_RWLOCKS
#endif
-----

Follow-up Comments
------------------

Date: Fri 03/12/04 at 00:15         By: rweather
The problem appears to be that the nptl pthread.h
defines PTHREAD_RWLOCK_INITIALIZER outside of the
protection of #ifdef __USE_UNIX98.  So, on your
system the macro is defined but not the pthread_rwlock_t
type.  I've worked around this in pnet, but you may want
to contact the glibc/nptl authors and report this as a bug
in their headers.

For detailed info, follow this link:
<http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?func=detailitem&item_id=8074>

  Message sent via/by Savannah