dotgnu-visionaries

Re: [Visionaries] I have a dream... a couple of them, actually...

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [Visionaries] I have a dream... a couple of them, actually...
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 16:10:38 +0200 (CEST)

Bob Calco <address@hidden> wrote:

> I am torn between two very different paths I would like to take down the
> road of contributing to DotGNU.
>
> The first is a language for .NET/.GNU called R#. It is not named after the R
> statistical programming language, but Ruby; however, it is not really Ruby
> but a combination of Ruby-inspired syntax on top of a language that adds
> multiparadigm programming abstractions to the framework, specifically for
> declarative (logic) and constraints-based programming.  [..]  I
> think TreeCC rocks conceptually and would use it to develop R#.

Sounds very interesting to me.

> The other "vision" is an Eclipse competitor in C# (or any .GNU/.NET
> language) that works on Unix and Windows.

There's a project for this already, called SharpDevelop

http://www.icsharpcode.net/OpenSource/SD/Default.aspx

(SharpDevelop isn't running on GNU/Linux yet, primarily beause we
don't have a mature System.Windows.Forms implementation yet.  We'll
get there though.)

I doubt that it's a good idea to start yet another Free Software
IDE project.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
Founder & Steering Committee member of http://gnu.org/projects/dotgnu/