dotgnu-visionaries

[Visionaries] Re: Sourcery Rules

From: Peter Minten
Subject: [Visionaries] Re: Sourcery Rules
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 14:06:11 +0200

Derek Lewis wrote:
Peter Minten wrote:

Well, it would be nice if you could take a look at the rules file (attached, and long) and tell me what you think of it :-).

The following comments resulted from a first pass at reading the rules file. I found it a little terse in places but expect my understanding to improve with further, much closer, reading.

I've attached a new version, it explains terrain and also has the things you mentioned cleared up.

So in order for piece C to block attacking piece A that attacks piece
B the following must be true:

Piece B is in the defense range of piece C.
                 AND
Piece A has no evader that piece B doesn't have.

Should the above be:

                          AND
        Piece A has no evader that piece C doesn't have and
        piece C has an evader that piece A doesn't have.

Nope, piece C doesn't need to evade, so it only needs to be able to counter the evading attempts of piece A.

ie does the evaders of the attacking piece have to be a *proper* subset of the evaders of the blocking piece for blocking to work, or is it sufficient for the two sets to be equal?

A piece can evade another piece if it has an evader the other piece doesn't have. So IF attacker.evaders IS-A-SUBSET-OR-EQUAL-TO blocker.evaders THEN attacker is blocked.

The alignments of a card affect the behaviour of the piece and the
behaviour of other pieces with regard to the piece. For example some
spells may not work against pieces of some alignment.

I found this a little tricky to follow, but I think I got the idea.

Fire spells usually won't affect fire creatures very much but will usually greatly affect water creatures. Water creatures can get penalties for being on a fire square (square with fire terrain) and fire creatures can get bonusses for that.

Avatars are very powerful creatures that are actually owned by a god
but given to you in exchange for a certain cost. Half gods don't have
avatars, they just appear themselves. Usually one has to pay a
summoning cost to get the avatar to the battlefield and a pay to keep
them there for another turn.

Is the currency life points?

Can be. Usually it's energy or mana. Technically the cost can be anything from sacrificing a creature to casting some spells on a temple.

Extension tournaments allow a player that wins a number of battles
against equally skilled players to get card templates from an
extension set in all other tournaments. No card templates can be won
in this kind of tournament.

Does this mean the player wins the ability to obtain card templates from an extension set but does not actually win a card template as a result of this tournament?

Yes.

Looks like fun. Do you think it would be suitable for mobile devices?

Can't see why not. There isn't much memory required. However there is a lot of information for the player, for example card statistics, card explanations, square info. So the bottleneck will most likely be the memory or the player and the size of the display. Not a significant problem IMHO.

Greetings,

Peter