Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: add to qi possibility to switch type of ta

From: Matías Fonzo
Subject: Re: [Dragora-users] Proposal: add to qi possibility to switch type of tarlz compression granularity
Date: Wed, 18 May 2022 17:02:51 -0300

El 2022-05-17 03:04, DustDFG escribió:
Hello!

I want to know why you use tarlz. If I right understand, you use tarlz
archive format (not usual tar.lz or something else) because it has
multi-threaded facilities. Am I right?

Not only for the multi-thread capabilities, which speeds up the checking of a tarball when testing it, there are a number of reasons, one of them is that tarlz creates a more secure format than the one proposed by POSIX pax format; tarlz is based on the lzip format, its inclusion is a decision that was made for Dragora in 2008. Now expanded elsewhere, it is the only reliable format that I know of.

I read the source code of qi and found that qi uses tarlz with option
--solid. It means that tarlz can't unpack this archive with using
multi-threading [1] [2].

This does not mean that it can be done in the future, I understand that it is not easy to implement. Beyond implementation, --solid is the recommended option for packages, as it is the final product.

I understand that you want to get the
smallest possible size of an archive. If I have a fully empty disk
with 1TB capacity, I may want to get more speed especially if I build
packages for testing (not for release)...

And this has been optimized in Dragora, not to mention that it is also subject to build systems, hardware, parallel jobs for the compiler....

I want to propose you to add to qi possibility to point compression
granularity level through new option or maybe through qirc file. Note:
I don't propose to change default compression granularity level. I
simply want to have a possibility to change it when I want it.

[1] https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/manual/tarlz_manual.html#Introduction
[2] https://www.nongnu.org/lzip/manual/tarlz_manual.html#Multi_002dthreaded-decoding

Let's see what our friend, the author, has to say.  :-)