Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: How to run duplicity with a Cron Job

From: Mathias de Riese
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: How to run duplicity with a Cron Job
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 10:26:48 +0100

Hi *,

I did some modifications to allow encryption with a public-only key and signing with a separate private key which is then of course less secure. I thought i sent the mods to the developer, but i might have postponed that and then forgot. I use the following script started daily from cron for quite some time now:

<snip>
export PASSPHRASE=""

duplicity -v 4 --archive-dir /root/duplicity/ --encrypt-key XXXXXXXX --sign-key YYYYYYYY \ --include /home --exclude '**' / scp://address@hidden/home/bckusr/hostname
<snap>

The trick is that the information to do the incremental stuff is also stored locally and unencrypted in /root/duplicity/ and the private key of the encryption key is therefore not needed. When i downloaded duplicity this didnt work, because duplicity would use the --archive-dir to store that info, but would not use it in the next run -- at least not completely. I fixed that in the code and therefore it
works with me.

If it is not in the public code, let me know and i will send you my mods. (Need some time for that, cause
i completely forgot what i did over my thesis work...)

Cheers,
Mathias