[Duplicity-talk] Re: How to run duplicity with a Cron Job

From: Charles Duffy
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: How to run duplicity with a Cron Job
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 14:58:57 -0600

> I think that there is no 100% solution to avoid telling
> passwordphrases to duplicity. Because you must tell duplicity e.g the
> password for FTP connection, a intruder could also login to your FTP
> remote Server and delete all backup archives.

I have a VPN between the client systems and the FTP server;
consequently, the password they use to log in to FTP is entirely
irrelevant, as no system which hasn't authenticated itself to the VPN
(via a certificate) gets in in the first place.

Consequently, I just use anonymous FTP, and have the FTP server
configured to give each connection a different filesystem branch based
on the address that it's coming from (since I have OpenVPN set up to
configure both forward and reverse DNS lookup for systems based on the
CN of their certificate after they connect).