[Duplicity-talk] bzip2 compression

From: Mathias Wagner
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] bzip2 compression
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 08:25:52 +0200

Hi,

since bandwidth to remote servers is the limiting factor when doing backup to
remote servers I suggest to use bzip2 compression in duplicity or at least
add and option to use it (together with gpg)

In gpg.py I modified GPGWriteFile

        def start_gpg(filename, passphrase):
                """Start GPG process, return (process, to_gpg_fileobj)"""
                gnupg = GnuPGInterface.GnuPG()
                gnupg.options.meta_interactive = 0
                gnupg.options.extra_args.append('--no-secmem-warning')
                gnupg.options.extra_args.append('--compression-algo=bzip2')
                gnupg.options.extra_args.append('--bzip2-compress-level=9')
                gnupg.passphrase = passphrase

I simply added the two line with bzip2 as an extra_args for gpg and the size
of my backup reduced by 10%. Extended CPU and memory usage should be no
problem on modern computers.

Maybe it is also possible to add and command-line option for this.

Mathias