Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 getting started

From: mike
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 getting started
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:01:49 -0700

On 6/20/07, rsync.net <address@hidden> wrote:
The bottom line is, there are indeed pros and cons to both, and there is a
place for s3 just like there is a place for rsync.net.  We look forward to
supporting Kenneth, duplicity, and many other forms of development far
into the future, and hope to count many of you as customers.

i would definately consider rsync if the pricing was different. some
of my backups i would like to keep but are large; large enough to
where i can't justify $1.60/month per gig for them...

it would be neat if it was using something like pam_encfs or whatever,
where the login itself triggers totally encrypted filenames (and then
hopefully the file contents are encrypted somewhere - either client or
server)

that is still the key thing missing with any services i've been
examining. obviously obfuscating it beforehand by putting it into
archives like duplicity does solves that as well, but can add a layer
of complexity then later on. having the filenames encrypted with the
same key and some sort of pseudo filesystem layer on the server side
that decrypts them only when the private key is supplied would give
the ultimate in privacy.