Re: [Duplicity-talk] recommendations for first backup?

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] recommendations for first backup?
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2008 22:19:22 +0100

> Unless someone tells me there's a trivial way to use tc or some
> bandwidth-throttling tool on linux (in which case I'd let it run 24x7 until
> it completes), I need to figure a way to start and stop the duplicity
> transfers -- but get it to "pick up where it left off" next time it starts.
>
> Is this doable?  Default?

There is currently no "resume" support built into duplicity, however if your
problem is only bandwidth rather than host uptime, a simple SIGSTOP (ctrl-z
in the session) should do the trick as far as I can tell, given that
duplicity will retry if the individual file transfer that was in progress
(and timed out, presumably) fails. Simply resume ("fg") the duplicity command
when you want it to resume.

That said, realize that you will have to make perodic full backups in the
future, so if individual backups 150 GB in size is a big problem you may want
to reavaluate splitting the data up into sub directories after all; that way
you can run the backup cycles slightly out of phase and avoid single huge
backups of 150 GB.

That would also make it easier to make spot checks to confirm the backups are
functioning properly (i.e., you can test without having to download 150+ GB).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden