[Duplicity-talk] duplicity stalling intermittently

From: Edward Chadwick
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity stalling intermittently
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 15:13:35 -0400

Hi all,

I use duplicity to backup my server to an offsite location provided by rsync.net. This does an incremental backup daily and a full backup once a week; about half the time it runs fine with no errors. The status command reports up-to-date backup sets and the verify command finds zero differences. The other half of the time, though, it seems to lose the connection and after 5 attempts has to abort. I've been back and forth with the support staff at rsync.net now for several weeks. They are now stumped and have asked me to post this here.

I'm using duplicity 0.4.9 and running the following command:

    duplicity -v5 /backup/remote/ scp://address@hidden/backup/remote

I have about 23GB free on /tmp and have no network problems communicating with other sites.

When it runs successfully I get the following output:

--------------[ Backup Statistics ]--------------
StartTime 1204889256.29 (Fri Mar  7 06:27:36 2008)
EndTime 1204890474.12 (Fri Mar  7 06:47:54 2008)
ElapsedTime 1217.83 (20 minutes 17.83 seconds)
SourceFiles 19515
SourceFileSize 2245633900 (2.09 GB)
NewFiles 2702
NewFileSize 368786466 (352 MB)
DeletedFiles 2681
ChangedFiles 11
ChangedFileSize 786371 (768 KB)
ChangedDeltaSize 0 (0 bytes)
DeltaEntries 5394
RawDeltaSize 16394170 (15.6 MB)
TotalDestinationSizeChange 329831218 (315 MB)
Errors 0

When it fails I get the following errors:

Running 'scp  /tmp/duplicity-KiIzeN-tempdir/mktemp-G1Ldua-22 address@hidden:backup/remote/duplicity-inc.2008-03-07T06:25:05-05:00.to.2008-03-09T06:25:06-04:00.vol8.difftar.gpg' (attempt #1)
Stalled for too long, aborted copy
Running 'scp  /tmp/duplicity-KiIzeN-tempdir/mktemp-G1Ldua-22 address@hidden:backup/remote/duplicity-inc.2008-03-07T06:25:05-05:00.to.2008-03-09T06:25:06-04:00.vol8.difftar.gpg' (attempt #2)
Stalled for too long, aborted copy
Running 'scp  /tmp/duplicity-KiIzeN-tempdir/mktemp-G1Ldua-22 address@hidden:backup/remote/duplicity-inc.2008-03-07T06:25:05-05:00.to.2008-03-09T06:25:06-04:00.vol8.difftar.gpg' (attempt #3)
Stalled for too long, aborted copy
Running 'scp  /tmp/duplicity-KiIzeN-tempdir/mktemp-G1Ldua-22 address@hidden:backup/remote/duplicity-inc.2008-03-07T06:25:05-05:00.to.2008-03-09T06:25:06-04:00.vol8.difftar.gpg' (attempt #4)
Stalled for too long, aborted copy
Running 'scp  /tmp/duplicity-KiIzeN-tempdir/mktemp-G1Ldua-22 address@hidden:backup/remote/duplicity-inc.2008-03-07T06:25:05-05:00.to.2008-03-09T06:25:06-04:00.vol8.difftar.gpg' (attempt #5)
Stalled for too long, aborted copy

Often, even when it is successful, there are several attempts (but less than 5) at writing some volumes.

Has anybody else seen anything like this? Or can anybody suggest where to look to find the problem? I'm running the latest duplicity version and have ample space on /tmp and (I think) no network problems so I'm not sure where to look next.

Thanks in advance.

Ed Chadwick.

--
Edward K.J. Chadwick PhD.