Re: [Duplicity-talk] PAR2 for duplicity

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] PAR2 for duplicity
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 17:05:17 +0100

> I considered this; the major argument against doing par2 over the
> entire archive, is that, unless the par2 command line tools have
> features I have missed, you will need a copy of the full backup in
> order to generate the par2 information. This does fundamentally change
> the resource requirements for duplicity.

You're right, I have stumbled upon that problem myself. It cannot be
insurmountable but it possibly need patching of libpar2 to work (which I
would like to avoid).

> That said, some kind of compromise could be reached. Given a certain
> percentage redundancy, one could generate par2 files over *batches* of
> files sufficiently large that one can recover from a single file being
> lost (so eg for 5% redundancy you might use 20 file batches).

Good point. That's 100MB by default, most systems should be able to hold that
in RAM.

> kind (assuming we don't want to actually implement the FEC
> ourselves). That might give us some more flexibility (single pass
> required AFAIK, as long as the redundant information fits in
> RAM). Anyone aware of something like this?

Lemme do some research. I don't think writing our own is a very efficient use
of resources.