Re: [Duplicity-talk] CIFS support?

From: Timothee Besset
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] CIFS support?
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 19:14:28 -0500

Jacob wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:50:19 -0500
> Kenneth Loafman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> In the long run I would rather us work with the Samba folks to make
>> their product better than go off and do an end run that is not likely to
>> bear much success if the underlying foundation is not all that strong.
>
> I couldn't agree more. I think, really, Samba needs to be fixed, not
> duplicity.
>
> The best option here may be a duplicity+rsync combination as a workaround in
> the meantime.

rsync requires a daemon running on the remote machine, all I have is a
CIFS account. Due to local storage size constraints, I can't backup
locally and transfer afterwards either.

I don't know if Samba really has a problem. I doubt FileSystem mounts
with CIFS were ever seriously intended for operation over the internet,
like say, AFS is.

TTimo