Re: [Duplicity-talk] scp/sftp backup fails (but not consistently)

From: Robin Smidsrød
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] scp/sftp backup fails (but not consistently)
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 2008 14:39:06 +0200

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
From what I can tell, you made it a fair way in the backup process,
getting to volume 556 before failing.  This tells me there is no setup
or other issue that could be a problem.  What I suspect is that the
network itself failed long enough to cause the backup to fail.  Its
possible that increasing the number of retries will help, setting
--num-retries=20 or higher, for example.
I will try that and see if it is able to continue through the problematic period.
Do the failures happen on the same machines, or is it random?  If there
are multiple failures, are they at the same time of day?
It is usually the same machines that have problems, and they are behind the same network link. The script runs from cron, so I guess it is more or less on the same time every day.

Excellent job on the build script.  Mind if I post it to the web site?
I have no problems with that. Just remember some attribution. :) From what I know the build script works without problems on Ubuntu 6.06, 8.04 and Debian stable. I haven't tested it on any other platform.

I assume it should work pretty well on any RPM platform too if you just replace the apt-get call with some yum call. If you want to, you can also include it in a contrib folder or something in the main package. You can use the same license as duplicity.

I guess that if you use "lsb_release" or something similar, you could even make it build on different distributions, as long as you know what packages are already packaged in the main repositories of the distribution. With some work you can even make an "automatic" build system that downloads the build script with curl/wget and runs it through bash to install. Wildly unsafe of course, but very convenient.

-- Robin