Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verbose output/Progress & rename

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verbose output/Progress & rename
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:22:33 +0200

rsync was already mentioned, but also:

> I have about 60GB of data to initially upload and was wondering if there
> was any way to view progress. Either that, or since I'm on a slow
> connection does it matterif I stop duplicity, and start it up again
> later? Will it continue from where it was, or try to write everything again?

There is no support for intelligent resume like that.

The best way to get a sense of progress is probably run run at
verbosity 5 (-v5) and, knowing the volume size (5 MB by default, or
modified with --volsize), that tells you how much data has been sent
based on the volume filename.

> I'm wondering also if duplicity has the ability to detect folder/file
> renaming. I did a little test, renamed a folder, and it seemed to have
> uploaded a whole new folder. :(

No.

Also be aware that you will have to re-do the full 60 GB now and then,
since it would not be recommended to keep doing incrementals
forever. Using a two-step process with rsync helps here though.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden