Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verbose output/Progress & rename

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Verbose output/Progress & rename
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:24:25 +0200

> > IMHO if you have a slow uplink, such as a DSL line, you are much better
> > off using rsync. Use an external usb disk to create your Duplicity
> > backup and then rsync this to your upstream storage device.

Be careful though. If you just do a plain rsync --delete -avWP for
example, you're toast if you have badly timed problems. I *believe* it
should be enough to -avWP first and then --delete -avWP, but don't
quote me on it.

The problem being that by default rsync removes files first, and then
uploads new files. In the case of duplicity, I think it should be safe
to use rsync as long as it's used in such a way that deletions always
happen after new files are transfered. But this relies on the details
of duplicity's file management, and is not true in general for other
software (or potentially for future versions of duplicity).

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to address@hidden