Re: [Duplicity-talk] Sliding window backup strategy?

From: Lars Marowsky-Bree
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Sliding window backup strategy?
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 2008 18:01:21 +0200

On 2008-10-05T11:44:36, Serge Wroclawski <address@hidden> wrote:

> With AMANDA, you say "I want to be sure to get a full backup of every
> machine in n days". In that time, it figures out which to do when
> based on the above.
>
> http://man.chinaunix.net/network/amanda/topten.html   "the
> friday-tape-question"
>
> This is especially important for AMANDA because it is meant for tapes,
> so the issue of fulls vs incrementals is a significant one since it
> could mean needing many tapes to be loaded for a restore.
>
> AMANDA has been around since the late 90s, so they have thought a lot
> about this and other scheduling issues.
>
> If you want to go down this road, I suggest you look there first for
> inspiration.

Thank you, that is excellent advice! I was aware of Amanda, but had
missed this in their docs. Or even forgotten. I've been using Amanda in
the 90s. Doh. So that's where the idea came from! ;-) Those who forget
the past ...

Do you think something likethis would be worthwhile to add to duplicity?
I like it's simplicity and client-centric / dump-repository approach,
and of course the encryption etc, which I think would be quite hard to
add to amanda.

Basically, it boils down to marking n% of the files dirty regardless of
whether they have changed or not - how hard can that be?

(He rhetorically asked, mistakenly ;-)

I'd welcome some feedback on how difficult more experienced duplicity
developers think this would be in the terms of the data structures etc.

Regards,
    Lars