Re: [Duplicity-talk] Sliding window backup strategy?

From: Colin Ryan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Sliding window backup strategy?
Date: Sun, 05 Oct 2008 16:14:23 -0400

Sidenote: I believe - please correct me - that duplicity uses the signatures and manifest files to do incrementals from the last backup not from the last full, so does this not avoid the incremental approaching the size of a full dilemma? However it does not as you point our deal with what I've come to call the "dirty little secret of infinite incrementals" ( I say this as there are so many backup services that pitch/do nothing but ongoing incrementals ) which is corruption of even one incremental invalidates all the incrementals past that point. However now that I make this statement does not duplicity essentially handle this as it checks the backup chain, i.e. incomplete backup chain found forcing full??? Maybe I'm smoking something on that last point.

An open thought on this discussion is the balance of function versus simplicity, would not more advanced techniques as you - and I in the past - have requested incur a penalty on the download (thought I agree there is more bandwidth there). I've the more recursive/parity/whatever checking you have to do on the backup chain to accomplish goal "x", the more data must also be additionally pulled from the back-end in addition to pushed.

Sorry but I digress ;-)