Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python GnuPGInterface integration

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Python GnuPGInterface integration
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:18:10 -0600

Edgar Soldin wrote:
> because of the cygwin install posts I actually tried 0.5.08 on my cygwin
> 1.7 and it works as expected ... I could fall in love with this posix
> environment enabling so many cool stuff on windows boxes ... I actually
> have smartmontools & sshd running flawlessly.
>
> Anyway: one suggestion or complaint though ...Python GnuPGInterface
> <http://sourceforge.net/projects/py-gnupg/> was missing and I had
> (again, as with every new box) to fetch it from sourceforge and so on ..
> why not integrate it in duplicity? It didn't change in ages (last change
> 2002) and it is LGPL'd ... An integration of it really would help new
> users focus on getting things started instead of fetching bits and peaces ;)
>
> just my 2 cents .. regards ede

A while back we had a bug report from one of the upstream distro
maintainers that GnuPGInterface had its own project and package and that
we should use that instead of our local copy.  He even included the
patches needed, so I implemented it.  I'm thinking I should have refused
the bug report in the interests of all those that have to install
duplicity by hand.  Its almost impossible to get the version in a
previous distro updated, so a lot of folks rely on the .tar.gz files to
install the current version.

We distribute tarfile.py and pexpect.py now and both of those are
separate projects, as is librsync and GnuPGInterface.  I'm thinking that
to keep the upstream guys happy, I may just want to put a link to the
externals needed directly on the web site.  Maybe that would be sufficient?