Re: [Duplicity-talk] Suggested increment chain

From: Marcus Williams
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Suggested increment chain
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 10:21:58 +0000

On 13/02/2009 15:57, Kenneth Loafman wrote:
This would be the equivalent of coalescing the incremental sets
together, which is something I've thought of tackling, but have not
since I think it would lead to bad backup behavior in that full backups
would not be done on a regular basis and too much reliance would be put
on ancient backups and long chains of incremental/differential backups.
  That's a recipe for disaster.

Mmmm - fair point. My problem at the moment is we back up far too much data to keep a weekly (or even bi-weekly) full. Maybe I should revisit our backup list :)

I've been wondering about how safe data is in a duplicity archive - what happens if one of the volumes is corrupted? Do you lose all data from that volume onwards? Do all increments from that increment onwards become invalid?

Thanks

Marcus