[Duplicity-talk] Suggested increment chain

From: Kennon Ballou
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Suggested increment chain
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 15:23:40 +0100

Based on how duplicity does incrementals, if you lose one of the incrementals or if it is corrupted, as I understand it you will lose everything after that in the chain. Because of that, it seems to be a good idea to do a new full backup occasionally.

How long is a recommend length of time to go between fulls? I'm running right now a daily incremental and a full every 14 days. Does that seem to be too short/long? What kind of frequency are you going between fulls?

On a related note, what volume size do you use? I've been going with 100mb volumes, as this seemed to be for me a tradeoff between number of files and length of time it takes to copy back for a restore. The default of 10mb means that for a typical backup I'm going to have several thousand volumes; is it actually a better idea to stick with small volumes? Is 100mb too big?

Anyway, I'm sure there isn't one "right" answer for any of this, but was just curious to hear what you guys use in practice.

| Kennon Ballou
| Angry Turnip, Inc.

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Announcements will be copied to both duplicity-talk and -announce.  I
had a couple of requests for an announcements list from folks that did
not want to read the -talk list, so I went with it.

You don't need to subscribe to -announce if you're already a member of
this list.

...Ken

address@hidden wrote:
Hey Ken,

are there that many announcements that you have to split lists or are
there other reasons?

thx ede
--
There is a new announcements-only list for duplicity at:

This list is moderated and is for announcements regarding duplicity
backup and related package announcements.  All discussion should be
contained on the duplicity-talk list.

If you want to announce a related package release (ftplicity, Deja Dup,
etc.), just send it to the list and I will approve the announcement.

...Thanks,