Re: [Duplicity-talk] Suggested increment chain

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Suggested increment chain
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 17:42:46 +0100

Mmmm - fair point. My problem at the moment is we back up far too much data to keep a weekly (or even bi-weekly) full. Maybe I should revisit our backup list :)

Didn't you write that the majority of your data doesn't change?
Because in that case you should be able to move old incrementals aside and generate new against your old full thus working around the long incremental chain. After a successful backup you can delete the now "old" incrementals. But still over time your set of incremental(s) will grow. Depends on how many data you are changing and if some of it gets deleted from time to time.

I've been wondering about how safe data is in a duplicity archive - what happens if one of the volumes is corrupted? Do you lose all data from that volume onwards? Do all increments from that increment onwards become invalid?

Good question remembering the now fixed ctb14 gpg bug .. I also want to know the procedure for a damaged backup chain. Are there docs?

..ede